Monday, July 25, 2005

Fedora or Suse, that is the question my friend!

The enlightenment that took me by surprise came only after the discovery of the RF feature in my PCMCIA Netgear Wireless card. I was unaware that this WiFi device is compatible with Atheros, and hence, can generate special type of Arp request called 802.11_ARP instead of regular Ethernet ARP. So I installed them. This unleashed the power that I had always wanted from a network device, but with futile practices under incomplete wit! I had a project and that was to crack WEP encryption for 802.11 b/g networks. The first step had been taken with the installation of Atheros drivers and I was ready for the next step.

I wrote a small piece of code (about 700 lines) in C++ to exploit a weekness in the primitive WEB standard. With extreme concentration during debugging the code execution was successful, and the software was ready to crack! This was not the first time I had proved the Knights of Standards and Practices wrong (of course I am reffering to the RFC of WEP). I powered by card and unleashed the beast in it with my software to sniff. And Sniff it did.
After many a arp injections into the victim network (ofcourse the test network in the lab) and mac spoofing of the victim computer, I was finally able to crack WEP encryption. Then I polished my techniques and finalized the practice in steps.

Now I have this amazing tool that can crack WEP encryption of a WiFi network in eight to ten minutes. The only problem: I cannot run it on windows; I need Linux for it. So now I search for a good flavor of linux for my laptop. A flavor which will rejuvinate my ears by a working sound card. A flavor which will be gentle on my fingers by making the touch pad work. A flavor which will indulge into humanitarian actions by conserving the power (battery power for prolonged laptop use). A flavor which will encompass all abstractions of hardware compatibility chanelling them into proper easy to use interfaces. It will be one flavor to rule them all!

Will it be Fedora or will it be Suse? That is the question my friend!

3 comments:

Vincent said...

Being a Mathematician and a Computer Scientist I have developed this "ubermanish" ability to write about things which folks in the folk tales cannot easily comprehend.
But I thought you would understand. Consider it a personal issue of mine; everyone's got at least one issue. :D

nauky said...

I have used Suse which was ok even if it felt bloated. But if your daring go for gentoo. Bit painful but in the word of Luther Vandross "will take you to the promised land, never too much never too much".

Vincent said...

but Gentoo, ive heared doesnt have advanced support for ACPI, which is critical for a battery opearted machine like a laptop.
I am partly satisfied, partly compacent with suse now, however.