Sunday, September 04, 2005

A Question

Well, such devastation have we witnessed in the last few days as an aftermath to the Hurricane Katrina, which according to some is an aftermath itself to 2004 elections. There has been a lot of blaming going on, politicians are polishing their acts, the newspapers are full of shit etc. etc. However, this post is not meant to reflect on the political hegemonies of this naturally-inflicted-man-worsened-disaster. The devastation is enormous, and the grief limitless.

I was skimming throuhg Houston Chronicle yestarday, trying to find a news report. Somwhere deep inside the paper I found this report in advertisement sort of margins. It was a public service announcement kind of thing and it dealt with "how to talk to your children about the devastation of Katrina". I read through it; it followed a format similar to a steak recipie, given by some alter ego of Martha Stewert.
It provoked only one thought - a disturbing question. (one more thing, city of Houston does not have a true newspaper. Houston Chronicle is just a scam to sell coupons for HEB and Walmart).

I am not a parent, hence disqualified from answering this question, therefore I pose as it is: What is the cause of this paralysis of parenthood that renders the parents inept of knowing their offsprings and communicating with them? The parents apparently lack confidence within themselves, so they have to look forward to a conforming-medium to tell them what to do. This is certainly, in my opinion, a triumph of institutions over individuality. This appears to be an end to uniqueness. Our children will be zombie-like organic machines getting their daily dose of instructions from the conforming institutions? Our society is full of such impotent parents who happen to hold positions of power, and therefore, perhaps, we must not be surprised that it took 4 days to respond to one of the greatest disasters in US history. The Inflicity of the situation is petrifying.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

dont u think it might have something to do with taboo and chain raections?
for one, children grow according to family culture, dont they, and depending on religion, values and beliefs and history, education and so on, certain topics or behaviour may be taboo, which renders the parent unable to respond to societal evolution. in such dilemmas, the parent may feel that expressing certain taboo topics, explaining them and discussing them may cause the kids to explore further and therefore cause a chain reaction that is undesired by the parent. then again the fear of that chain reaction happening in the event that the kids learn the taboo topics elsewhere pushes them parent to seek help on how to approach the topicĂ 
on the other hand, it may just be plain ignorance taht pushes the parents to silence questions and ignore topics, not knowing anything ahout them really.
which is why u and i vince are among the few who, altho having accepted a line of thinking, either religious philosophical or whatever, we continue to persue knowledge elsewhere and to explore, because that is what will broaden our minds.
my mom never hid anything from me. some may say it wasnt a good thing, but i think it was, and i plan to do the same with my kids.
and i think ur right, how can u expect poeple who cant even communicate basic things with the closest thing to them, their progeniture, to handle crises like the one u mentioned?

Anonymous said...

i forgot to mention the obvious: for many people, death, disease and crime are taboo topics.
or, they are plainly to difficult topics to tackle.

Vincent said...

this is perhaps the most a-scientific thing i ever wrote. I think its not about cultures, or dilemas, or taboos. Its just about parent-child connection.

4ndi Land said...

and what do u suppose parent child relationships are founded on? what limits them, makes them grow? what makes them different from cultures and through time?
thats a silly thing to reply to my long winded comment...
u started it vince, why dont u feel like arguing ur point?

Vincent said...

"Let Hercules himself do what he may
the cat will mew
and dog will have his day."

I do not know the relation of above quote with your question but it sure is from Hamlet's mouth.

4ndi Land said...

i dont get it vince
why r u quoting something as a response to me, the relation unknown even by urself.
i really like this topic and this discussion, is there a reason u refuse to aprticipate in it?
at least admit it if u are stumped for an awnser, instead of trying to intimate me into silence by using shakespearian quote!

i thought u liked me more than that. if u do like me as u say u do in your e-mails, then have the intellectual sincerity to speak to me as an equal!

4ndi Land said...

:-)

Vincent said...

Well, read again teapot du fromage. I said I am not a parent, hence I do not know. Then I accpeted that this is the most a-scientific thing I ever wrote; meaning: I do not agree with what I have written - I failed to argue along the principles of scientific method. With this kind of post as base, only Pat Robertson can have a discussion. He must be proud of me if you show this to him, which will I not be able to bear.
I dont know what I was thinking when I pointed out the cause of katrina disaster the distance of communication between parents and their offsprings. You see what I mean?
P.S: I am a father of lies, if you believe in my emails.

4ndi Land said...

u dont like me, then?
o pooh upon you